Cooking with Jack – Halloween Monster Caramel Apples2012-12-04
Cooking with Jack – Halloween Monster Caramel Apples
They are spooky and delicious. What a great way to bring the family together and make something sweet. Here is the recipe: * 8 to 10 medium apples
* 8 to 10 wooden sticks
* 32 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
* 1 cup butter, cubed
* 2 cups packed brown sugar
* 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
* 1 cup light corn syrup
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 8 squares (1 ounce each) white candy coating, coarsely chopped
* 1/2 cup orange and brown sprinkles
* Wash and thoroughly dry apples; insert a wooden stick into each. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; chill. Place cookie crumbs in a shallow dish; set aside.
* In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk and corn syrup; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 248° (firm-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
* Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture to completely coat, then dip the bottom in cookie crumbs, pressing lightly to adhere. Return to baking sheet to cool.
* In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle coating over apples. Decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 8-10 servings.