Pasta e Fagioli (aka Pasta Fazool)2012-11-30
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 45m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Ready In: 1:15 h
- 1 Pound (450 Grams) Medium Sized Thick Skinned Dried Beans
- 1 Cup Dry Pasta, Small Shells
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Small Piece Pancetta, diced
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Large Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced into 1" pieces
- 2 Stalks Celery, diced into 1" pieces
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Anchovies, finely chopped to a puree
- 4 Cups Warm Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Reserved Pasta Water
- 2 Medium Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- 1 Handful Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
Soak beans overnight (ahead of time).
Place soaked beans in a pot with 6 cups of cold water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 - 1.5 hours partially covered. Add more water during cooking if needed. Test for tenderness after an hour. Drain and chill for up to 3 days.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and reserve 2 cups of cooking water and set aside.
In a hot pot add butter, olive oil and pancetta. Just before pancetta is done cooking add a pinch of red pepper flakes. When pancetta is brown add onion and salt and cook until translucent and starting to turn golden. Add garlic, rosemary and anchovy mash. Once the garlic becomes fragrant add the celery and carrots. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
Deglaze pot with tomatoes. Add beans, broth and reserved pasta water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes stir in the pasta, lemon juice, and chopped parsley then season with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!