Matthew’s Almost Famous Chili2012-11-28
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 2:0 h
- Ready In: 2:15 h
This is a really great chili that you can make if your friends drop by and you want to impress them.
- 2 Tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Ground Beef - lean
- 2 whole Onions, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 whole Stalk Celery, diced
- 2 whole Chillies, diced
- 1 whole Bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. Ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato purée
- 400 Grams Canned tomatoes
- 250 Grams Beef stock
- 25 Grams Dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 400 Grams Canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- small bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Basmati rice
Heat a large pan until hot then add the olive oil and beef mince. Fry until browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the onions, garlic, celery and chillies and sweat for 5-6 minutes until golden.
Add all the spices and fry for one minute.
Return the beef to the pan and stir to combine. Add the tomato purée, canned tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-1½ hours until very tender.
Add the chocolate and kidney beans and simmer for a further five minutes until heated through.
Check the seasoning before adding the coriander leaves and serve.