- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Ready In: 60m
Indian cheese and peas complement each other in a creamy, mildly spicy sauce. The cardamom pods and curry leaves are optional in this recipe, but add a beautiful fragrance to your sauce.
- 1 Tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 4 Green Cardamom Pods (optional)
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Tomatoes, pureed
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Indian Chili Powder (or Ground Cayenne)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Peas, frozen or fresh
- 3/4 Cup Cubed Paneer
- 1 Cup Light Cream
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro or Parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add cardamom pods and curry leaves (if using). Cook until golden brown. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, ground coriander, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, salt and sugar. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add peas and paneer. Stir well.
Stir in cream. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add water, stir and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is thick and creamy, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer to a large bowl and garnish with cilantro and a sprinkling of garam masala.
Serve with naan and basmati rice.
Photo Credit: Simon Law, Flickr.