Ginger Tempura Chicken and Watercress Salad With Creamy Lemongrass Dressing2012-12-01
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Ready In: 30m
- 1 1/2 Pounds Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless
- 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Lemongrass
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Clove Garlic, roughly chopped
- 3/4 Teaspoon Oyster Sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- TEMPURA BATTER
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Soda
- 3 Cups Canola Oil, for frying
- 8 Cups Watercress, Arugula or Mixed Salad Greens
- 1 Cup Diced Pineapple
- 1/2 Cup Shelled Pistachio Nuts, toasted
Slice chicken into ¾-inch strips horizontally across the breast. Set aside. In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients for lemongrass dressing; pulse until smooth. Set aside.
In large saucepan or deep fryer, place oil and heat oil to 350 F.
In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for tempura batter. Dip each piece of chicken into batter, allowing excess to drip off. Gently lower battered chicken into hot oil and fry for 2 ½ - 3 minutes, turning once during cooking. Chicken will need to be cooked in a few batches, as pieces should not touch. (Chicken will not brown; it will remain a pale tan color.) Remove chicken to paper towels to drain.
In large serving bowl, place salad green, pineapple pieces and pistachios. Add dressing and toss well to coat. Place chicken over greens and sprinkle with toasted pistachios.