DIY Asian Shrimp Cold Rolls with Spicy Mango Ginger Dip2013-02-05
- Serves: 4-8
- Prep Time: 40m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Ready In: 50m
- 2 Bell Peppers, sliced julienne
- 5 Carrots, sliced julienne
- 1/4 Head of Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Mango, sliced julienne
- 1-2 Avocados, sliced julienne (spritz with lime juice to stop browning)
- 1 English Cucumber, sliced julienne
- 2 Cups Sugar Snap Peas, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Mint
- 3 Green Onions, sliced thin on a bias
- 4 Ounces Dry Thin Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- 1 Pound Cooked Shrimp
- 1 Package Rice Paper Wraps
- DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, minced
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Mango, flesh removed
- 3/4 Cup, plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sriracha, or to taste, depending how spicy you like it
- Salt, to taste
Put the noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them sit for 5 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water.
Arrange in bowls or on a platter all of your fillings: the peppers, carrots, cabbage, mango, avocado, cucumber, peas, mint, onions, noodles and shrimp. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Add in the ginger and garlic and stir just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in the mango, water, vinegar, lime juice and lime zest and cook until the mango softens up and the flavours merry, just about 6-7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Transfer mango mixture to a blender, along with the honey, fish sauce, and sriracha and blitz until smooth. Taste and season with salt, and additional sriracha and honey to taste.
Set out a bowl or container filled with warm water. Submerge your rice paper wrap in the water until softened and pliable, just a mere 5-7 seconds (don't let it sit in there too long or else it will get gummy and hard to handle).
Transfer to your plate and fill with all your favourite ingredients.
Fold in the sides, then roll up like a fat cigar.
Serve with the mango dipping sauce, and enjoy!