Chicken Tortilla Soup2012-12-03
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 25m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Ready In: 50m
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Chipotle Pureee
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 28 Ounce Can Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Cup Whole Corn Kernels, cooked
- 1 Cup White Hominy
- 4 Ounce Can Green Chile Peppers, chopped
- 1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Limes, juiced
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Toasted Tortilla Chips or Tostadas
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Small Red Onion, chopped
- Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Fresh Parsley or Cilantro, chopped
Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper (to taste) and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
Add the chipotle, cumin, chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, and black beans. Add the lime juice and shredded chicken and stir through. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Ladle into small bowls and top with a few pieces each of tortilla strips, avocado, onion and Monterey jack and parsley (or cilantro).
Shredded Chicken: Poach skinless chicken breasts in stock or bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Or use a roast chicken from the deli counter at the grocery store.
Toasted tortilla chips: Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Use a pair of scissors to cut the tortillas into 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick strips. Place on a baking tray, brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and crunchy. Cool on tray.